Because when the operating system like Windows fails to boot or start up and it is unable to fix itself from it's repair mode then recovery or external boot most of the times unable to recover your personal files from the drive.
So dividing the drive is an important topic if you want to keep the different types of files in other than the system drive and get them back even after re-installing Windows OS. Adding that, you may need a separate drive for backup/recovery or want to install another operating system(known as dual boot) to another drive.
The easiest way to partition a drive:
Windows 8/7/Vista Users don't need to download extra tools or waste money doing this task as they already have a Disk Management built-in.
1. First step is to go to Manage by right-clicking on Computer. Or open the Control Panel and navigate to the System and Security, Administrative Tools, Computer Management (it's in the category view of Control Panel).
|Manage from Computer|
3. Now select the drive you want to split and select the Shrink the volume. The selected drive should have some free space and that free space will be the new volume.
|Shrink a Volume/Drive|
|Shrink done & Unlocated volume created|
6. The New Simple Volume Wizard will drive to make the drive Logical. Click on Next and then the amount of the volume will be set automatically. You can wish to decrease the size if you want to create another volume.
|Set drive size|
|Assign drive letter|
|Set File system, label & mark quick format|
|New drive created|
You may interested in:
- How to add image or picture to mp3 files
- How to Change folder background in Windows 7/vista/xp[without software]